This is just an example of a basic L3 design and where it needs the IP:

1) Traffic is sent to the default gw (logical router) (L2) (every metadata
(logical switch) has a default flow that
    identifies the router default gw)

Since i assume we going to implement *distributed virtual routing*:
2) At each compute host there are flows representing every logical switch
(network) connected to this logical router
    Can logical router be connected to a logical router? i think not as it
makes things complicated so lets assume the way
to connect two routers is by a logical switch

3) We identified the "leg" of the router the traffic needs to be sent

4) Then the src MAC needs to be changed to the router mac (open flow action)

In this step we need to know how to translate the DST ip to the correct
mac, so its either ARP responders (which needs IP per lport)
or something that can inject ARP requests and wait for replies (so we need
a network stack)

I believe we have to know the mapping between lports and their IP's.
If we do, the entire above process might not be needed as we potentially
could know the destination very quickly
(But its a bit complicated to implement in a fully proactive approach as we
need to consider the logical
network topology and overlapping IP's)

Hope it somehow make sense, i wrote it too fast

--
Best Regards ,

The G.