On 08/26/2015 11:04 AM, Chandran, Sugesh wrote:
> HI Russel,
>
> Please find the work flow as below.
> 1.    A user requests nova to boot a vm
> 2.    Nova schedules the vm based on the flavor and image properties to a host
> 3.    Nova asks neutron to bind the neutron port basing the selected host
> name and some limited information in binding profile.
> 4.    The neutron network driver(ML2/OVN driver)  that manages the selected
> node will then bind the port and select the vif type to use.
> 5.    Nova reads the vif type selected by neutron and generates the Libvirt
> xml accordingly and boots the vm.
> a.    For the normal interface nova plug the vhost-net interface to the OVS.
> b.    In the dpdk case  during the boot process nova plug the  vhost user
> interface into ovs
>
> The VIF type(kernel vhosts/vhost-user/sriov) must be decided at step
> 4 based on the capabilities of specific compute node to allow nova to
> generate the correct Libvirt xml. Nova doesn’t know the capabilities
> of selected compute node to decide what VIF type to be used in the
> libvirt XML. It’s responsibility of Neutron to provide this
> information because Nova is not supposed  to have any logic for
> manage the network. Neutron can talk only to the OVN NorthDB and this
> patch series will expose the relevant compute node details all the
> way up-to Northbound_DB. So Neutron can then instruct Nova to boot VM
> with right VIF type using the exposed information in the Northbound
> DB.
>
> Since OVN is taking care of entire cloud network management, we feel
> that its responsibility of OVN to provide enough information to
> Nova->Hypervisor for booting the VM with right parameter set.

Are you on the openstack-dev mailing list?  We should probably move the
conversation over there at this point.  I can post something there.  I
realize all of this isn't specific to using dpdk, but this interaction
seems more complicated than necessary.  I'd like to see if we can
simplify it, instead.

--
Russell Bryant