From: discuss <discuss-boun...@openvswitch.org> on behalf of Christian Ehrhardt
<christian.ehrha...@canonical.com>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 10:32 PM
To: dev@openvswitch.org; disc...@openvswitch.org
Subject: [ovs-discuss] Somebody making --user and dpdk compatible again?

Hi,
to avoid missing another work already been done (and google didn't find me
anything).
Is there already work going on to get --user and dpdk working together?
(see http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-September/060382.html)

Background:
While setting up a vhost_user based ovs-dpdk setup I'm struggling to get access
to the vhost user sockets from qemu/kvm  due to permission issues.
Various mailing list posts like
(http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-August/018553.html) indicate to
change the user running OVS, since the sockets are defaulting to process
user/group.
To run OVS as different user --user seems to be the preferred way.
But as linked above, --user has other issues with DPDK and therefore is
mutually exclusive for now.

I was able to fix the permission issue with some chown/chmod, but I wonder if
there would be cleaner way to do so at some point. Maybe eventually the
approach is totally different anyway (like only specifying :group for the
sockets to be created). But I wondered if that old mail thread is still worked
on by somebody atm.

Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd