On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:

> Will this have the desired effect?  I think that putting multiple VIFs
> on a logical switch and redirecting outputs to them through the localnet
> port will have surprising consequences in some cases.  The first case
> that comes to mind is one where some of the VIFs have "unknown" among
> their addresses.  In such a case, I'd expect that a packet with an
> otherwise unknown destination would output to each of those VIFs.  Since
> each of those outputs would be implemented by outputting to the localnet
> port, we'd see packet duplication on the localnet port.

Oh yes, this is a scenario I didn't thought about. Thank you so much for
pointing out! I will try to address the duplication problem in next version.

> I expect that in simple cases this would work OK.  It's probably meant
> only for the simple cases.  If so, then I'd recommend documenting it
> more thoroughly.  I'd probably start by adding some background text in
> ovn-nb.xml in the Logical_Switch table, talking about how there are two
> kinds of logical switches, that is, ones that fully virtualize the
> network and ones that provide simple connectivity to a physical network
> (and try to invent good names for these), and then explain how the two
> types have different restrictions and lay out what those are.

Fortunately OpenStack neutron falls into the simple cases I believe :) I
will document the limitations clearly, if not able to solve it in this
patch.

> We also have some text in ovn-architecture.7.xml that talks about the
> flows that ovn-controller sets up in table 33.  It would be good to
> update this to explain what happens with localnet ports in this new
> world.

Sure.
Thanks for the review!

--