>     - Zookeeper.  The ZK model is similar to etc so it may have
>       similar issues.  Also, ZK makes the transaction log available,
>       for use by observer nodes to scale out reads, and this may be
>       another way for the clients to track table changes.
Not quite. It does make the log available in that there's nothing
stopping you from connecting to the leader and reading the log and
using it as you like, but it's not an officially supported usecase, so
they don't actively encourage you to do it (they don't discourage
either in fact).

> The documentation I read for ZK talks about how it's often used to
> manage pointers to other resources.  This implies, to my mind, that it's
> not suitable for handling significant volumes of data but.  Is that a
> true inference?
Yes and No. Zookeeper is often used to point to larger data resources,
but when they're talking large, they're talking HBase, HDFS, etc.
Large data stores with multiple petabytes of data. In the case of OVN,
I don't think it applies. It can easily handle at least a gig of data,
and from your original email, I think we're talking a fraction of
that.

-Ivan