On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
<casca...@redhat.com> wrote:
> This series adds support for the creation of tunnels using the rtnetlink
> interface. This will open the possibility for new features and flags on those
> vports without the need to change vport compatibility code.
>
> Support for STT and LISP have not been added because these are not upstream
> yet,
> so we don't know how the interface will be like upstream. And there are no
> features in the current drivers right now we could make use of.
>
> We are able to set the MTU to UINT16_MAX since it is not restricted by the
> driver during newlink.

The fact that the MTU can be set at link creation time is very nice -
I was surprised when I looked at the source to verify what was going
on.

I did a little bit of testing with this series. For the basic case of
creating ports that didn't already exist, it worked well. However, it
had some problems with existing ports. There were two types that I ran
across:

* When restarting OVS, it doesn't seem to be able to find and reuse
the existing tunnel ports. They end up getting removed from the
datapath and traffic doesn't pass.
* A little stranger one that I haven't been able to reproduce yet but
I suspect that relates to old state from a previous version of OVS
without this patch - I had a GRE port that already existed and when it
tried to start up it failed with thousands of error messages.

In the kernel log:
[4263763.845236] net_ratelimit: 5861 callbacks suppressed
[4263763.845239] A link change request failed with some changes
committed already. Interface gre_sys may have been left with an
inconsistent configuration, please check.

And in ovs-vswitchd.log:
2016-06-10T04:03:19.768Z|01453|dpif|WARN|Dropped 1114 log messages in
last 1 seconds (most recently, 0 seconds ago) due to excessive rate
2016-06-10T04:03:19.768Z|01454|dpif|WARN|system@ovs-system: failed to
add tun0 as port: File exists

Can you take a look at these and also maybe do some more testing in
these types of edge scenarios?