On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:45:25PM +0000, Gray, Mark D wrote:
> > +Open vSwitch makes releases at the following six-month cadence, which
> > +of course is subject to change.
> > +
> > +time
> > +(months)  approx dates    event
> > +--------  -------------   -----------------------------------------
> > +T         Apr 1  Oct 1    release cycle for version x.y begins
> > +T + 4     Aug 1  Feb 1    branch-x.y forks from master
> > +T + 5.5   Sep 15 Mar 15   branch-x.y released as version x.y.0
> > +
> > +Contact
> > +-------
>
> What is the relevance of the dates? Are you aligning to another software
> release?

The reason to adopt a planned release schedule is to give predictability
to downstreams.  A six-month cadence seems useful and sustainable.

There are two reasons for these particular dates.  First, we've been
saying for some time that we want to freeze for 2.6 at the end of July;
Aug. 1 is practically the same and easier to explain.  Then, we've often
said in the past that we have 6-week stabilization periods prior to
release; I just rounded that up to 45 days.  Finally, by leaving half a
month of slack time at the end of the cycle we get some leeway for
delays in branching or releasing without delaying the following release
cycle.

Second, these dates do line up well with OpenStack, which is
especially important to the OVN sub-project.