On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 11:12:18PM -0700, Jesse Gross wrote:
> I think the code is reasonably robust at this point and certainly it
> fixes a number of existing bugs. However, the truth is that I wasn't
> really all that happy about it. It took a fairly long time to work
> through the various corner cases and all of this was to support what
> is really quite simple "business logic" in the mapping between the
> Southbound and OVS databases. I tried to separate out the
> synchronization and logic as much as possible so future changes should
> be easier but this definitely doesn't feel like the best long term
> solution to me. I suspect that there might be similar issues in other
> places where incremental processing tries to avoid doing a full walk
> of database tables.
>
> I can definitely see the benefits of nlog or another rule engine to
> managing the synchronization. I don't yet have a good concept of how
> the generic engine will map onto specific pieces of translation or how
> easy it will be to adapt to different components (i.e. ovn-northd vs.
> ovn-controller and all of their individual pieces). However, I'm
> certainly more enthusiastic about the concept than I have been in the
> past.

My general impression of ovn-controller is that it's currently hard to
understand and trending toward catastrophe.  It's one of my highest
priorities for this next cycle.  I have some ideas for a rule engine.
One concept I want to play with is to integrate a database join engine
into the IDL itself, where the IDL takes the database rows it receives
in particular tables and then joins them into a table that it
synthetically constructs and presents to the client as if it were an
ordinary database table, that allows tracking etc.  I haven't worked the
idea out fully at all.