On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Justin Pettit <jpet...@ovn.org> wrote:

> > On Aug 16, 2016, at 6:52 AM, Russell Bryant <rbry...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > ​Thanks for starting this discussion.​
> >
> > ​I do think making ovn-controller a read-only client of the database
> seems
> > like the simplest path forward.  We should pursue that until we hit a
> > strong reason not to.
> >
> > One of the biggest questions remaining for me is how we deal with
> backwards
> > compatibility.  Whatever we do here will have to account for what happens
> > for environments running OVN from OVS 2.6 when they upgrade.
> >
> > Perhaps the most straight forward way to do that is to make this new more
> > secure mode optional and off by default.  The downside is that it makes
> the
> > system more complex, since it will have different modes it can work.
>
> I think we should avoid providing two modes if at all possible.  As you
> mentioned, it increases the complexity, which will likely make it more
> difficult to test thoroughly and deploy consistently.

​Agreed.

> > An alternative would be to provide some tooling to assist with the
> upgrade:
> >
> > - Document the new requirements for creating Chassis and Encap rows
> > manually
> >
> > - Provide an upgrade tool (via ovn-nbctl/ovn-sbctl/something-else) that
> > will add the "chassis" option to logical ports set based on where ports
> are
> > currently bound in the southbound database.
> >
> > ​ - Provide an upgrade tool that converts the MAC_Binding table to
> whatever
> > the new chassis local storage for that information would be.
>
> I think the tool approach is better.  I imagine people deploying 2.6 will
> be pretty closely tied to the community still, so walking them through an
> upgrade shouldn't be too bad--especially if we make it easy.  Obviously,
> we'll try to avoid the need for that again in the future.

​Thanks for the feedback!

If we move to etcd, I imagine we'll have to provide another set of upgrade
tooling.  It would be more ideal to wait for that to solve this issue, but
I feel that's going to be too late for the primary potential user
motivating this work for me.  That's why I wanted to explore how bad it
would be to do it now.  It feels like if we can make ovn-controller
read-only, the only db-specific functionality needed is making ovsdb-server
accept connections with read-only access.  That seems like a generally
useful feature for ovsdb-server, even if we don't use it long term.

--
Russell Bryant