On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Ramu Ramamurthy
<ramu.ramamur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dont see a /proc filesystem based interface to help debug the
> openvswitch kernel module. Some of the knobs that may be useful are:
> a) debug knobs for stats (for those stats are not already reported),
> b) control knobs like: stop/start forwarding on the fast-path etc.
> Such an interface would help debugging for some problems.
>
> Does such an interface already exist ? If it does not, does it make
> sense to add such an interface ?

There isn't current a /proc interface and I'm not really enthusiastic
about adding one. I doubt that it would well received by the upstream
Linux community either.

I think it would be more consistent and flexible to extend the
existing netlink interface where appropriate and then access/control
these APIs through userspace. In particular for controlling behavior,
this seems necessary as there is very little that the kernel module
actually does autonomously. For example, turning on or off forwarding
through the kernel module is handled by whether userspace installs
flows and not something that the kernel can affect itself.