On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Ansis Atteka <ansisatt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2016 at 20:52, Pravin B Shelar <pshe...@ovn.org> wrote:
>>
>> OVS IPsec tunnel support has issues:
>> 1. It only works for GRE.
>>
>> 2. only works on Debian.
>>
>> 3. It does not allow user to match on packet-mark
>>    on packet received on tunnel ports.
>>

>> Therefore following patch provide alternative to completely
>> disable ipsec-tunnel support by vswitchd command line option.
>> This way user can use external daemon to manage IPsec tunnel
>> traffic and stir it using skb-mark match action in OVS bridge.
>>

>> This patch deprecates support for IPsec tunnel port.
>

> There are other alternative solutions worth to mention:
> 1) remove the special meaning of skb_mark bit #0 and update
> ovs-monitor-ipsec not to depend on harcoded skb_mark value at all (I think
> this can be done with some trickery);

I am not sure what does this mean. How are you going match on IPsec traffic?

> 2) allow users to chose OVS mode where OVS can be explicitly told to either
> use skb_mark for its own needs (e.g. IPsec) OR to pass skb_mark to OpenFlow
> pipeline as-is;

This was basically this patch does but I have sent another patch to
just deprecate IPsec support. I have mentioned reasoning for the
change there.

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-September/079770.html

> 3) leave bit #0 assigned to IPsec and let OpenFlow to match only on bits
> #1-32.
>
> Your solutions is kinda like 2), except it discourages uses to configure OVS
> in a way where it consumes skb_mark for itself.
>
> I think solutions 1) could be implemented even after your patch. Except,
> maybe then we should not mention that IPsec will be deprecated in the next
> release. Also, I would need to think how to address corner cases if
> ovs-monitor-ipsec can't use skb_mark anymore.
>
> Solution 3) would be great from ovs-monitor-ipsec perspective because it
> would not need to change. However, it possibly would make OpenFlow skb_mark
> matching look weird compared to other fields that OVS can match on.

I do not like solution 3. It does not allows OVS user to use all bits
of skb-mark even when there is no IPSEC involved which is what linux
networking stack provide.