From: Mark Struberg [mailto:strub...@yahoo.de]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:30 AM
To: dev@openwebbeans.apache.org
Subject: Need to switch to subclassing?

Hi!

There is a subtle difference between implementing interceptors via proxy or via
subclasses.

I have the following service which imports data from a legacy system into my
db. Since commits are very performance intense, they should get imported in
packages of 100. So I'll get 100 'Employees' from my legacy system and then
call a @Transactional method to store them in my own database.

public void ImportService() {
  public void importEmployee() {
    List<LegacyEmployee> les;
    while ((les = getNext100EmployeesFromLegacy()) != nul) {
      importLegacyEmployees(le);
    }
  }

  @Transactional
  protected importLegacyEmployees(List<LegacyEmployee> les) {
    for (LegacyEmployee le: les) {
      employeeService.store(le);
    }
  }
}

This would actually _not_ when using proxies for the interceptor handling,
because calling a method on an own class doesn't invoke the proxyhandler.

So is this expected to work?

Sure, I could easily move the importLegacyEmployees() to an own service, but
that would infringe classic OOP heavily imo.

Gurkan, what does the spec say here, I did find nothing. The old spec
explicitly mentioned that we need to use subclassing, but I cannot find this
anymore.

LieGrue,
strub