It should be well supported on any servlet 3.0 compliant container as its
part of the specification.  I suppose it could be inconvenient for
application servers that already have OWB integration, but in that case I
wouldn't expect the user to be including OWB in their application at all.

As long as we document that including the openwebbeans-web module into your
application will cause a ServletContainerInitializer to automatically be
added, I don't see any harm in it.  I guess the only loss is some amount of
ordering control you might have had if you included it in the parent
web.xml directly.