From:   Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   10/03/2017 12:32 PM
Subject:        Re: factoring out "runtimes" into deployment configuration

For 1. The cli now is doing the inference for you, sure we can replace
that inference with an image name so instead of --kind python you'd write
--image openwhisk/python. But...

The issue more generally however is if you don't solve 2, making it easier
for users to use images is going to get them penalized for using arbitrary
but openwhisk-compatible images. So without addressing how to pull images
to local docker registries at create time for example, this is a non
starter in my opinion.

The difference with the openwhisk/* images is that they are already
pulled, hence that addresses 2 for a limited set of images. These are the
popular images, per se. If we're missing one, we add it to the manifest.

There is still, I posit, a need to know which are the "popular" or
approved images to use. That's what the manifest now centralizes into the
deployment configuration.

-r