Looks nice James !

"...It would be great to have Zipkin or OpenTracing support
embedded within the core OpenWhisk platform that users could enable with a
feature flag for functions...."

+1. I was looking to add zipkin for the OW components, mainly Controller
and Invoker. It's very useful to have it for the actions themselves too.

"...Happy to discuss some of the challenges and issues I found getting this
work if people are interested...."

Interest++ on my side !

Dragos