From: Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@me.com<mailto:markusthoem...@me.com>>
Date: Tuesday 25 April 2017 15:55
To: "dev@openwhisk.apache.org<mailto:dev@openwhisk.apache.org>"
<dev@openwhisk.apache.org<mailto:dev@openwhisk.apache.org>>
Subject: Performance tests for OpenWhisk

Hi all,

Since many have asked I today started an effort to bring a comprehensive
performance test suite for OpenWhisk out in the open.

Without much talking, here's the repository:
https://github.com/markusthoemmes/openwhisk-performance

My initial idea was to have the tests run on Travis to get comparable numbers.
Turns out, the Travis machines are way to weak (especially in terms of CPU
cores) to host a whole OpenWhisk system and be able to perform extraordinary
good.

The tests I did are based on the npm loadtest module, which is pretty much
Apache Benchmark, with a few more features and nicer output. Currently there is
only one test which surfaces end-to-end user latency of blocking invocations
and maximum throughput. README.md has some more information on how exactly the
tests are set up.

I do realize that those tests are the simplest you can get, but that's where
I'd like to start. We can get more sophisticated tests any time.

To proceed from here, I'd like to have those tests run on beefier machines, to
flesh out the real performance. Any ideas on how to do this in an open-source
fashion, e.g. "out in the wild"?

Cheers
Markus