> a burst of users will quickly exhaust the system, which is only fine for
event handling cases, and not fine at all for UI use cases.

Can you explain why is it fine for event handling cases?
I would assume that the key criteria would be, for example, around
throughput and/or latency (and their tradeoff with capacity), and not
necessarily the nature of the application per se.

Regards,
Alex

From:   Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
To:     "dev@openwhisk.apache.org" <dev@openwhisk.apache.org>
Date:   01/07/2017 10:18 PM
Subject:        Re: Improving support for UI driven use cases

Sure - what I mean is that once N containers are launched, and servicing N
activations, the N+1th activation is queued and processed sequential to
some particular one of the previous activations. And N is directly related
to concurrent users (and actions), so a burst of users will quickly
exhaust the system, which is only fine for event handling cases, and not
fine at all for UI use cases.

So ?sequential? is not quite accurate, but once concurrent activations max
out the container pool, it behaves as a queue compared to a system that
concurrently processed activations in a single container - which will have
its own point of exhaustion admittedly, but I think it is quite common,
for example to run nodejs applications that happily serve hundreds or
thousands of concurrent users, so we are taking about adding orders of
magnitude to the number of concurrent users that can be handled using the
same pool of resources.

Thanks
Tyson