I think some openwhiskers have this use-case and I'm thinking to start a thread
to see what are the current options. and see if we can land a PR if we want to
support this use-case.

The need is to share an action with 3rd party developers, while retaining the
intellectual property of the code, and potentially the associated default
parameters. 3rd party developers should be able to use the action in any
composition (meaning to be able to invoke the action from other actions), but
should not be able to read its code, nor its default params. The action should
look like a blackbox from the outside. Only the namespace owners should be able
to manage it ( create, update, delete, etc ).

It looks like this could be achieved in Openwhisk through web actions. The
action becomes publicly accessible to any 3rd party developer that knows the
URL, while the code and default params are not visible at all.

With Composer [1], we have a nice programming model, and actions can be easily
referenced in compositions by their name. We can think of the name of the
OpenWhisk. So the question is if there's something today that allows us to
reference an action from another namespace in a composition, w/o having to
share the code with other developers. And if this is not possible, then WDYT if
we make it possible ?

Thanks,

dragos

[1] - https://github.com/ibm-functions/composer