> On Oct 8, 2018, at 5:19 PM, Xiening Dai <xndai....@live.com> wrote:
> I think my point here is we want to be able to config some of the encoding
> features. For example, right now LEB128 is enforced for all integers, but it
> works bad with zstd. And the meta doesn’t have a way to turn it off.

I’d put it differently.

Zstd with particular settings doesn’t work well on one particular non-public
dataset after it is encoded by RLE. I’ve suggested that you try tuning the zstd
compression to find a set of parameters that work well with RLE. Take a look at
how we tune the zlib compression based on the type of the stream and column.

.. Owen