Huw,
   Generally we assign each ORC File writer implementation a unique writer
id so that we can determine the writer of the file. Would you like a number
assigned to your writer? We'd ask that your writer always set its id into
the Footer.writer field.

https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/75a8f5f2d938a5d13c62619024c1a2443489cce7/proto/orc_proto.proto#L364

.. Owen