Having the database on a different box is not much of a problem, of course.
The application itself runs inside a mod_perl process; so if you want
to put the web frontend on a separate box what you should do is put a
reverse proxy in the web zone, this can be a separate machine, and
handle the OTRS box as if it only runs the application.

HTH,

Mike