If there's a way to make it "excluded by default" when building a
release version of the jar, then that should alleviate my concerns of
adding another dependency.  I'm not at all familiar with Maven, so I'm
not sure how optional dependencies are handled.  I believe
bouncycastle is handled this way.  I searched the Internet downloaded
all the jar files manually until it compiled when I was first setting
up the project.  I know bc isn't required until runtime, but I haven't
really looked into why and how all that works.

Better (automated) testing makes it much easier to track down bugs,
and I fully support that.  Whenever I fix a bug, I try to include a
sample PDF and write a JUnit test case demonstrates the fix actually
does fix the issue.  I mainly do this to prove to myself that my patch
is fixing the issue I believe it is, but it also allows anyone else to
run the test before the patch and after, plus it may head off some
regression bugs down the road.

Just my 2c.  I'll wait for implementation specifics before I vote up or down.

--Adam