There were several ideas floating around wo a real consensus. From my
perspective PDFbox would benefit most if missing pieces could be implemented:

- shading types as Tilman suggested
- signature algorithms
- support for different character sets during PDF generation
- PDF optimization e.g. remove duplicate resources when merging PDFs or no
longer needed ones during splitting a PDF
- PoC work could also be feasible of how to implement different PDF levels and
standards in a similar, extendable manner.

I’d rather see us completing PDF core features than adding new functionality
like table recognition, high level PDF creation API or OCR interface although
these would be very beneficial functionalities.

In addition working on the documentation might be something although not for a
‚core‘ developer.

One question which needs to be answered is who would act as a mentor?

BR
Maruan Sahyoun