> # splitting files (e.g. remove no longer needed resources)

Each page has its own Resources dictionary, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
One thing to watch out for is is the "page tree" which allows pages to inherit
resources from each other, this is handled as PDPageNode but it's kind of messy.

> # merging files (e.g. avoid duplicating resources)

Sounds like the files are pretty similar, is this actually an overlay? Or are
you wanting to insert entire pages?

I imagine you probably want to implement both these features at the COS level
rather than the PD level, as it's pretty low-level processing.

-- John