Hi Dimuthu

That’s great. We should wait until closer to the end of the GSoC period to
integrate your work with PDFBox, as ideally we only want to have to do it once.
We’ve not included C++ dependencies before so no, there won’t be a standard
way, we’ll have to think something up. We’ll either make it an optional
sub-project and the Tesseract JNI bindings might be better of having their own
branch so that they are more like an external dependency - I’ll ask the dev
mailing list.

To prepare your code for contribution you’ll need to add the Apache header to
each.java file (see any PDFBox .java file for an example) and submit a signed
ICLA http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf to Apache.

Regarding additional functionality, the most useful would be for a new command
line tool which could write the OCR’d text back into the original PDF file as
“invisible text”, which would allow for copy and paste and text search to then
work for that PDF file. A starting point for this would be to try and write the
OCR’d text into the original PDF as “visible” text - we can make it invisible
later!

-- John