Hi Daniel, hi Manfred,

if you could describe your use case - maybe in a JIRA ticket with an
enhancement request or by discussing it further in the mailing list - we might
be able to come up with a solution. There are many changes in PDFBox 2.0
compared to 1.8 with the intention to make it better and not with the intention
to leave people with a good use case behind. In PDFBox 1.8 and before a lot was
public which didn't have to be that way and made changes behind the scenes
nearly impossible. That's the main reason why things have been made private,
package private and final. Having a cleaner public API has been the driving
factor behind these decisions.

BR
Maruan

PS: I'm not using PDFBox for rendering - so please understand my comment as a
general feedback. I think that John, Tilman and others who worked on for PDFBox
2.0 will be able to provide a more targeted feedback.