> On 6 Jul 2015, at 10:08, Tilman Hausherr <thaush...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Yes it would be great that the 2.0 version be released. Before the opening of
> the new Berlin airport.
>
> IMO only the following issues are important for 2.0:
> - PDFBOX-2301 - RandomAccessBuffer consumes too much memory - isn't that one
> done?
> - PDFBOX-2370 - Move caching outside of PDResources - I assume John has a
> concept in his head, but hasn't implemented it

Indeed, I’ve implemented it today. Should speed up some files quite a bit.

> - PDFBOX-2423 - Page tree handling needs rewriting - only the page tree
> issues are important (if any remain), the transparency problems can be done
> later.

Page tree code is stable, so we can move the remaining transparency issues to
2.1.

> - PDFBOX-2400 - Add insertPage() method - this is related to PDFBOX-2423
> - PDFBOX-2705 - Add IKVM support to Maven build - when this was created, I
> thought this would be done quickly, but then nothing happened :-(
> - PDFBOX-2340 - documentation - I suggest a wiki for the migration issues.
>
> A release candidate is a good idea, hopefully the people who use 2.0 already
> without updating after every new commit can test their own applications.

We definitely want an RC, probably multiple. We need to set aside a time window
to encourage people to move to 2.0rc and take their feedback into account w.r.t
any APIs which require breaking changes to fix. Perhaps getting a “big” user,
such as Tika onboard will give us proof that 2.0 is ready for production? Some
APIs are still in flux, e.g. font mapping has undergone recent changes to
handle CJK better.

— John