Hi,

> Am 20.10.2015 um 16:20 schrieb John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>:
>

>> On 19 Oct 2015, at 01:52, Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to start a news/blog section on the PDFBox website so we can
>> give regular updates more quickly. As that is not so easily done using the
>> Apache CMS I'd like to discuss moving to a local build of the website
>> publishing to the Apache CMS the same way we are doing it now for the
>> Javadoc with the maven scm-publish plugin (or using svnpubsub/gitpubsub at a
>> later stage - ).
>
> A news page would be good. Maybe we could have two or three “headlines” on
> the homepage which link to the latest items too.

idea I have is

- 'breaking news' section which will be just below the current intro ("Apache
PDFBox - A Java Library …") showing a news entry which is tagged that way
- News section with the latest prominent and earlier ones (up to 3 or 5) with
little text
- News archive

>> As a base for the local build I'd propose to use jekyll
>> [http://jekyllrb.com] a static site generator.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I’ve used jekyll, no complaints.

me too.

I'm currently thinking about the best transition. Maybe we could use the
pdfbox-docs repo as a new base for the content, generate from master, push to
asf-site branch and also push to the current Apache CMS based repo. If that
works ask infra to switch to gitpubsub and the pdfbox-docs repo as then the
asf-site branch will be served automatically.

Would allow us to do the transition in parallel wo affecting the current site.
Only drawback is that the content is there twice for a little while but as the
markdown files can be used for both that's a copy&paste. Not ideal I know.

Open for other suggestions of course.

WDYT?