Hi Pavel,

You might get more interesting answers on the "users" mailing list, but
there's lots of discussion about this in the archives.  For example:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/45559?search_string=registry%20status;#45559
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/88690?search_string=registry%20status;#88690

I think the gist of it is that some people make their Registry scripts set
$r->status because Registry doesn't scan the script output for a status
header like mod_cgi does.  However, that means Apache doesn't know what the
real status is.  In order to tell Apache what the status is, Registry
checks to see if you set $r->status and uses that as the return code, which
may affect what status Apache decides to send.

I may be reading your use case incorrectly, but you seem to be trying to
tell the server you have a 200 OK but really return a 404.  That's
discussed a little bit here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/RequestRec.html#C_status_.
 That is somewhat sophisticated for a Registry script, but you can always
just make your own subclass and override that method in RegistryCooker to
do what you want.  It's intended to be customizable in that way.

- Perrin