On Oct 15, 2021, at 4:26 AM, Steve Hay <steve...@apache.org> wrote:
> As a preliminary to making a new mod_perl release, I am updating Apache-Test.
>
> Please download, test, and report back on this Apache-Test 1.43 release
> candidate.
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/perl/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1.tar.gz

INSTALL says to "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd", but I
found I had to

perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd -apxs
/path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs

or else "make test" reported a lot of "APXS (/usr/sbin/apxs) query for SBINDIR
failed" errors.

Obviously, /usr/sbin/apxs != /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs for my httpd
installation.

Well, after I "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd -apxs
/path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs", I encountered the following:

waiting 60 seconds for server to start: .AH00526: Syntax error on line 12 of
/path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'User', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included
in the server configuration
[  error]
server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the
server in the debug mode)
sh: line 1: 39154 Terminated              /path/to/perl
/path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0

The first non-comment lines in t/conf/httpd.conf are

User    "<my_userid>"
Group    "<my_primary_group>"

I'm using Apache 2.4.41. If I try to edit t/conf/httpd.conf to comment out
these lines or to add "LoadModule unixd_module modules/mod_unixd.so" so that
the httpd.conf will work, my changes just get destroyed the next time I "make
test". Frustrating.

Also, It would be nice if Apache::Test would skip trying to "ulimit -c
unlimited" if $LOGNAME != "root" in order to avoid the following message:

sh: line 0: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

If only root should "make test", then the INSTALL instructions should say to
use sudo or something.

Thanks for all your efforts, Steve. I appreciate them.

Regards,
Ed