I agree, this is becoming unmanageable. Do we think that post HBase
1.1 and us being on supported APIs (even in coprocessor land) that
we'll need a shim layer? If likely not, then our branches will shrink
over time (hopefully sooner rather than later), so maybe we can live
with the current strategy. Otherwise, I agree that it's time to
rethink this.