Github user lomoree commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/222

    1. No differentiation between the regex functions (String based and Byte
based)
    Yep I'll try some approaches to make this work.

    2. Invert and MD5 Function don't work (phoenix doesn't supply the correct
arguments in annotation)
    Might be complicated. Phoenix uses a generic "term" as the input argument
for these functions.
    See https://phoenix.apache.org/language/index.html#term
    We don't really have a type that encapsulates this kind of behavior as far
as I know.
    This type of argument is represented by the following annotation:
    @BuiltInFunction(name = InvertFunction.NAME, args = { @Argument() })

    3. Timezone parameter doesn't work properly in ToDateFunction (basic cases
work, but custom timezones do not act as expected)
    I believe that's correct. When I was doing testing all of the results are
inexplicably off by an offset that is exactly the difference between UTC and
and EST :)

    4. Type matching doesn't work on input arguments (date/timestamp)
    I explored this after our meeting. This used to be an issue in Calcite but
was patched about a year ago with the corresponding test cases added. When
debugging these test cases, I never touched the typePrecedence block that's an
issue for us. Looks like I'll need to investigate more.

    5. Array constructors are not supported (another issue entirely)
    Yes, I did make a jira for it, but perhaps we can expand it as you said.

    6. Code refactoring:
    Having them in one spot is starting to make more sense; in that case, I
agree that PhoenixSchema would be the best location for everything. What I can
do is having them ordered according to how they logically progress, and have a
comment block at the top that describes the behavior.

    In my opinion it's appropriate and reasonable to include 1, 3, and 6 in
this pull request. The other issues may take longer, and would postpone
integrating this component.

---
with INFRA.
---