Parts of the codebase can be quite intimidating due to the amount of state
that needs to be tracked. In future patches, there could be an attempt to
take cues from functional programming styles and decompose larger functions
into "pure functions". This would make the project more accessible to new
developers and make it easier to add test coverage through unit testing.

Kevin