first question: you can do this when outputSchema() is called, as it's
passed the input schema. IIRC, in trunk you have hooks to pass that
info to the backend in a udf.

second question: see discussion on JsonLoader jira.. short answer:
non-trivial, no clear decision on what the most sensible thing to do
is (other than "map" which is unlikely to be what you want). Rather
than do something bad and then be stuck with a poor decision, allowing
people to provide their own schema instead for now.