I've been dealing some with the intermediate serialization in Pig, and will
probably be dealing with it more in the future. When serializing, there is
generally the time to serialize vs. space on disk tradeoff (an extreme
example being compression vs. no compression, a more nuanced one being
varint vs full int, that sort of thing). With Hadoop, generally network io
is the bottleneck, but I'm not sure of the best way to evaluate something
like: method X takes 3x as long to serialize, but is potentially 1/2 as
large on disk.

What are people doing in the wild?
Jon