Hello everyone

I would like to bring up this discussion about the ways for handling NULL
values in dimensions specified for cubing. For example, if we have a dimension
color with following values

red
blue
null
green

how do we differentiate if the null value represent rollup of all colors values
or actual null value?

SQL way:
There are 2 ways in which SQL server analysis services handles null values in
dimensions
1) Throw error when it encounters null values in dimension values
2) Ignore error by adding the null values to UnknownMembers. By default
UnknownMembers will be named as "Unknown". The name for UnknownMembers can also
be specified by the user.

Do we need to handle both ways in Pig? I think the first way (throwing error)
is pretty straightforward.
For the second way (ignoring error), what is the best way to provide support
for user specified name for UnknownMembers?

Please share your thoughts about how we can handle this scenario for different
datatypes in Pig.

Thanks
-- Prasanth