Hi, a few months ago I had submitted a patch to update JsonLoader to handle
arbitrary input json without an accompanying schema file (the were options
to specify a schema string with intelligent handling of missing/extra
fields, or to load everything as a map).

Patch is the most recent one at

That was against Piggybank. @rjurney said he wanted to merge it with some
stuff he did, and switch it to be against the builtins. I see some
JSON-related work at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2641 and an
unresolved bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2949 (which my
JsonLoader would fix), but it looks like the JsonLoader in trunk still
hasn't been updated in trunk.

So what's the status on this? I think its important to have a robust loader
for such a common format, and I'd be happy to provide a new patch against
the builtin JsonLoader.