+1.

Alan.

Rohini Palaniswamy <mailto:rohini.adi...@gmail.com>
September 16, 2014 at 21:47
Hi,
Hadoop is dropping support for JDK6 from hadoop-2.7 this year as
mentioned in the mail below. Pig should also move to JDK7 to be able to
compile against future hadoop 2.x releases and start making releases with
jars (binaries, maven repo) compiled in JDK 7. This would also open it up
for developers to code with JDK7 specific APIs.

Vote closes on Tuesday, Sep 23 2014.

Thanks,
Rohini

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arun C Murthy <a...@hortonworks.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Subject: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop
To: "d...@hbase.apache.org" <d...@hbase.apache.org>, d...@hive.apache.org,
dev@pig.apache.org, d...@oozie.apache.org
Cc: "common-...@hadoop.apache.org" <common-...@hadoop.apache.org>

[Apologies for the wide distribution.]

Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,

We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.

As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now considering
making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of Apache
Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we will
not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific apis.

Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the trigger
without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you feedback.

Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to be
at risk from this too.

thanks,
Arun

--