On 20 October 2011 21:05, Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just checked in another fix, this one seems to behave at least as well as the
> old code on my machine.
>
> Sorry about the bumpy ride :-;
>
> Regards, Noel.

Thanks for sticking with it, Noel.

This version at least appears to work for the particular app where I
first noticed the problems.  The main app (mostly standard Pivot
Components & skins) paints properly as far as I can see, and the
transparent overlay also now updates as expected.

I don't have time to test this any more thoroughly at the moment, so
will back out the change locally because I can't afford to lose time
tracking down issues that may or may not be due to this optimization.

Unless we can get a decent amount of user testing and feedback on the
change, and we can be confident that there are no more issues with it,
then I propose pushing it back to a release *after* 2.0.1.  A patch of
the most recent version of the change can be attached to the JIRA
ticket to be applied by any interested parties.

As this is nominally a performance enhancement, then we should also
get a small test app to use for benchmarking before & after versions
of the code.  (There are currently 2 unanswered requests for sample
code on the ticket)  As arbitrary as benchmarks can be, I'd prefer one
to simply assuming that a planned change ends up being as beneficial
as intended.  The ticket mentions that a profiler highlighted the
'problem' area, so any instructions for reproducing the profiler &
test configuration would also be useful.

I can move my comments/concerns to the JIRA ticket after any further
discussion here.

Chris