Hi,

Looking at the example I had with the hello-world-write example trying to
write a String to the Modbus protocol.

ava -jar plc4j-hello-world-plc4x-write-0.8.0-SNAPSHOT-uber-jar.jar
--connection-string modbus://127.0.0.1:5467 --field-addresses 40010
-field-values 32000

The value 32000 then gets cast as a String and is passed to the
encodeString function in ModbusFieldHandler. (It doesn't have one it gets
passed to the DefaultFieldHandler). To get this to work properly we would
need to define a datatype to cast the String to, S7 does this already and
with the consensus that IEC 61131 data types be used where possible then I
see no reason we shouldn't add the datatype field to the ModbusField. If we
are doing this for these protocols, then why don't we add the datatype
field to the PLCField interface, this would allow us to use the same
default encodeString (We may have to map the protocol specific datatypes to
IEC 61131 here, the same internalEncodeString might be better) functions
for S7 and Modbus by casting the input to a PLCField instead of a S7Field
or ModbusField.

When encodeString is then called we can use the datatype that is passed to
it to encode it to a PLCInteger/PLCFloat/etc.., the same way the S7
protocol does it. S7 however only allows Strings to be passed as string
related variables (CHAR, WCHAR, STRING and WSTRING), I don't see any reason
we can't expand this to be able to pass any PLC datatype from a string.

The next problem I had was to then be able to parse the PLCInteger class to
a byte array within the fromPLCValue function. For the UINT datatype for
the Modbus protocol, this is a 2 byte array however the PLCInteger class
contains it as a 4 byte array. in the fromPLCValue function there doesn't
seem to be a way to test to see if it is an UINT or a 4 byte integer such
as a DINT. If we were to change the classes in
plc4j/api/src/main/java/org/apache/plc4x/java/api/value to match the IEC
61131 datatypes then we should be able to parse them correctly in Modbus
fromPLCValue function.

I have probably missed a few things out, like how the TransportSize class
for the S7 protocol works, and we may have to settle for mapping protocol
specific types to IEC61131 types in the encode functions in each protocol,
what are your thoughts?

Kind Regards

Ben