GitHub user chrisdutz added a comment to the discussion: Handling Protocols
that require fixed communication coordinates?

Well for example BACNet seems to require the client to operate on a certain
port ... same with Profinet (even if I'm not 100% sure with that). But I think
the problem sort of also applies to Serial transports (well RS485 or so ... as
RS323 is only between two devices). In general I think it can only affect UDP,
Serial or Raw transports.

I guess the things we can assume: One serial port or udp port will only support
one protocol. And that running multiple instances (multiple VMs) is also out of
scope. For Profinet and BACnet we'd need this in order to have "connection" to
multiple devices at the same time from the same application.

I'm sort of thinking of separating the Transports from the Drivers by another
layer ... one the driver asks to create a connection. This could then keep
track of things ... so if we request a simple UPD "connection", we'd get a
fixed remote port and a random local one. But if we provide both local and
remote coordinates, the transport factory could create a new instance on the
first request and then reuse that as soon as a second request for the same
local coordinates comes in.

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/plc4x/discussions/949#discussioncomment-6174361

----