Personally, I think the caller is always responsible for closing the input
stream.
With java.io.* streams calling fis.close() twice doesn't do any harm.
BUT think of reading via JDBC input streams ( from Oracle or MySQL
blobs, etc.). Are you sure they will be happy with closing of already
closed stream?

So, I'm -1 to automatically close it in POIFSFileSystem(InputStream
stream).

What we can do is to create a special constructor:
POIFSFileSystem(InputStream stream, boolean autoClose ).

autoClose=false by default.

Use it in your code if you need this "auto-close" behavior

Yegor