The DataFormatter class has been like this for a number of years, so it would
not be a good idea to make big changes to its behaviour. Plenty of people
rely on it working the way it works right now.
We could add a 2nd DataFormatter that behaves the way you want it to - but
right now, we are busy with a major release and I think it's not a good time
to make changes.

Individuals can create their own subclasses of DataFormatter, for now.
A lot of the implementation of DataFormatter is private but you could copy
paste any private methods that you need into your own subclass.

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html