Thanks Dominik. I changed the poi-ooxml gradle file for JDK8 to use
MarlinRenderingEngine in tests. I think that helped a little. The builds seemed
to hang in random places before.

The remaining issue appears to be the poi-integration tests. I disabled them
for JDK8 (again in the gradle file for that subdir). The CI builds are now
clean.

If someone wants to experiment and find which file(s) is causing the
poi-integration JDK8 test issues, feel free to do so. The key thing is that
poi-integration tests run ok on newer JDKs so we have coverage.