I am not a fan of adding complexity to the dispatch path, and I will always
have serious concerns about proposals that do so, including this one.

 In general, I would prefer Pulsar to keep the dispatch path simple and
efficient, and avoid server side implementations of business logic.
Streaming at scale, at low latency is what  I think Pulsar should do.  I am
biased here, because that is one of the reasons Pulsar got created
originally, at a time when there were many other message brokers out there
( and many under the Apache umbrella too)

All those other message brokers do all kinds of server-side logic -
filtering, transforming, scheduling, and so on. All of those systems have
more or less ended up with bottlenecks and  complexity.  And  this is not
without reason. Message queues are queues, and most of the server side
logic implementations are attempts to make a queue into a database. A
system that is optimized for flow as a queue, will not be good as a
database, and vice-versa.

I think the right way to do this kind of business logic is in the client or
leverage Pulsar functions, and the core broker dispatch path and process
space should just deal with performance and flow at scale

Joe