I think 5MB is too large  and it should be reduced. :-) . I am with Kafka
on this one.. 1MB is good enough.

Have we completely ruled out a split/join abstraction on the Pulsar
produce/consumer APIs?  No backward compatibility, no  client-server
capability mismatches, now that we have dedup, split/join should even be
resumable on an n/w interruption ..

Joe