Hi everyone. I'm new to the Apache Pulsar community but have spent the past
ten years or so working in the Apache Cassandra community. I run the
contributor zoom calls as well as the Cassandra Kubernetes SIG.

I thought I could share a couple of things we learned there. First, as you
have been talking about, timezones are brutal. There is no possible way to
accommodate everyone. We went the route of having two meetings for a while,
but what we found is that eventually, the second meeting in
chronological order would turn into a recap from the first meeting. We are
only doing one meeting that rotates timezones for now, but I think for 2021
we'll look at alternating meeting times every other meeting. For example,
1st of the month is EU friendly time. 15th of month APAC friendly time.
Would love to collaborate on how best to make this work because I think
this is a problem with a lot of projects.

The second is maintaining communication and inclusivity in the Apache
community. Apache guidelines are very clear about the need for transparent
communication (https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/) In the Cassandra
project, we record every meeting and publish to YouTube. (
https://www.youtube.com/c/PlanetCassandra) This channel is owned by
multiple members so it isn't exclusive to any one person or company. We are
also looking at creating written transcripts of each meeting to increase
inclusivity. There isn't a requirement to publish to YouTube but at a
minimum, detailed notes of every meeting should be published somewhere and
as usual. any decisions should be discussed and made on the dev@ mailing
list. Ultimately it's the responsibility of the PMC for the Pulsar project
to enforce these rules. I'm just adding this as a warning because I've seen
a few Apache projects go down the route of creating exclusive channels of
decision making and it doesn't end well. It's better to over-rotate on open
communication by default.

Thanks and looking forward to becoming more involved in the Apache Pulsar
community!

Patrick McFadin