So there are two compatibility issues we need to consider here.

1) Old runtime to run new functions.
2) New runtime to run old functions.

Making the methods with default no-op implementation will resolve 1).
Is that correct?

We can use reflection to check if the methods exist or not to solve 2), no?

- Sijie