>  we do not know
anything about the availability of the owner of the topic.

If the owner broker is not available, other brokers will take over.

> We could make it simpler and when a broker wants to push its data, it
looks
up the REST address of the "leader broker" and then pushes the data to it,
I mean, without involving a "topic"

Any broker may become the leader broker, in this case, the brokers need to
know all the addresses of the brokers in the cluster. With the topic
approach,
they only need to know the topic name.

Penghui