> From the code-freeze point, to minimize the risk of delaying the
> release, only bug fixes involving a regression of behavior compared to
> a previous release should be allowed. Occasional exceptions will be
> possible after higher scrutiny of the change.

It's a frequent point of discussion to debate which bug fixes are
urgent enough to trigger a new RC candidate.

I propose that we try to set guidelines now so that we can rely on
them when issues come up.

In my opinion, net new bugs that were introduced in the version should
be fixed. Bugs that are not new, should not trigger a new RC, unless
there is general consensus (however we define that) that the bug is
sufficiently bad that we should trigger a new RC.

If a bug is discovered during the RC testing period and it is not
fixed, we should note this in the release notes for the version under
a "known issues" section. This way, users of the impacted feature may
decide to delay upgrading, while users that do not rely on the feature
will have confidence upgrading. The main goal here is to ensure that
we don't miss release deadlines, as Matteo just mentioned, and to give
our users confidence when upgrading.

Performance regressions are another issue that will arise. Dave Fisher
has been working extensively on building out performance testing
infrastructure to measure many Pulsar features. I expect that he (or
someone else doing performance testing) will find degraded performance
for some feature in the future. I think we should have a general rule
of thumb that some percent regression (maybe 10%?) is serious enough
to trigger a new RC. A percent might not be the only measure. If we
have absolute metrics, like that a Pulsar cluster of x size must be
able to handle y topics, that might be meaningful, too.

What do others think?

- Michael